Thursday, August 11, 2011

On the Road Again

I both hate and love traveling. I love the excitement of exploring a new place - even an airport. Especially when said airport has yummy french cafes and birds that fly around inside (Terminal 5 at JFK). But trying to sleep on a plane? The worst. I've tried it all, but nothing works. Yet, a day of zombie-like behavior is worth it for an adventure. 

Today's adventure takes me to Syracuse, NY for my Aunt and Uncle's wedding renewal. (On a side note, it was impossible to find a card for that situation. At least it was impossible at Target. How can you give a card saying "Here's to beginning your life together" when they've been married for 30 years?)  The last time I was in Syracuse was 15 years ago - half of my life ago. I was an awkward 15 year old who had just lost all her friends.  This time I come from such a different place. Still a bit awkward, but enjoying it. And more secure with the relationships in my life. Earlier this week I began to feel nervous about the trip, fearing that I would feel left out. It's just now, as I slowly type away on my phone, that I remember the fragile state I was in 15 years ago. And I also remember that I am not there today. I return to New York, holding that 15 year old girl as well as the 30 year old woman, moving forward and allowing this weekend to be what it is. 

No comments: