Monday, June 9, 2008

Back from Syria & Lebanon - July 5, 2005

Ok, I posted something last night, but now it's disappeared. Lame. Anywho, I'm back from Syria and Lebannon. Many stories to tell, to tired to tell/process it all.

But here's one to whet your appetite.

So, we spend a few days in the Syrian desert. One of the days we were at a place called Palmyra, where there are a bunch of ancient ruins. That night we got to have dinner with a Bedouin (nomadic) family. We drove out in the back of a truck as the sun set. We girls dressed as traditionally as possible, including head scarves. The family had three children. The oldest was a 12-year old girl, who ended up playing dress up with by the end of the night. The younger two were boys. The oldest boy was precious. He had this really high pitched voice, but he wasn't at all ashamed of it. I think boys his age in our culture would try to deepen their voices. There was somehting so pure and innocent about it. They showed us their sheep and donkey and bike. Then we sat down for dinner in the tent. The food was great and we ended the night by singing songs for them.

On the way to the Bedouins I joked about our trip saying:

Traditional head scarf: 80 lire
Long skirt: £15
Dining with Bedouins in the middle of the Syrian desert: Priceless

So, I hope you enjoyed this taster of my trip. I'm slowly recovering, however, also preparing to leave England in 2 weeks. Oi.

Have a wonderful Wednesday,

Jenny

BTW, I'm listening to a Lebanese singer called Nancy right now - My Space isn't recognizing her. I don't know what she's singing, but it's fun stuff.

No comments: