Monday, June 9, 2008

This Hobbit's Journey to Scotland - February 2006

15 February 2006
Jenny Manglos, world traveller, aboard Easy Jet flight to Glasgow. Or at least that's how I felt whilst boarding the plane. My view out the window is of a British Isle covered in cotten. The sun is rising just to the East, slightly behind the plane. It's a beautiful morning and I'm glad to be alive. I'd like to be able to travel a lot the next few years.

15 February 2006 - 16:20
Right when I got on the bus I spied a rainbow. Beautiful. Chelsea and William met me at the bus station and we walked around Glasgow a bit. The architecture is beautiful and I can't wait to explore. Chelsea and I are going tomorrow. We took the train back to Airdrie and I walked around the town while Chelsea was at work.

20 February 2006
Ah, and my adventures to Scotland end. I had a bril time, despite getting sick.
On Thursday, Chels and I went and explored Glasgow. We started with the Glasgow Cathedral. The stained glass windows were gorgeous. I was really struck by a couple. One in particular showed a young man with his hands open - palms up. The inscription was "They will be done."
We were right by the Neocropolis - which is where all the rich people were buried. I didn't go, but instead went across the street to the oldest building in Glasgow - built in 1491. Chelsea's husband William showed a video from this comedian the night prior. He commented that the place he was born in Glasgow collapsed and wondered what did they know back in 1491 that we don't know today.

Then we walked to the city center and had lunch at Starbucks (surprise, surprise). I got my Scotland Starbucks mug - I'll have quite a collection when I return to the States. Then it was over to the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art. I love art! I love how crazy it can be and how someone can view something in a completely new and unique way. Chelsea was saying how much she loved Monet and a bit later I was wondering how people responded to his work. I mean, we all praise it now, but I bet back then many were confused, weirded out, etc. by it. Quite often, like our response to modern art can be today. Just a thought.

Then we went in hunt of a Body Shop. Chels had never been and I was determined to remedy that. I think I'll miss The Body Shop - although I know they're doing something like Tupperware back in the States. It's just not the same. I love the smell of passion fruit. It's just delicious. =)

After shopping around - but not buying anything - we took a break for coffee. Good times, good talks. Then it was back to Airdrie.

On Friday we were off to Stirling, to visit the castle and the Wallace Monument. Chels & William's friend from church Adrian picked us up from the train station and took us around. First stop was Stirling Castle - my first castle. Yea! I can't imagine living in a castle.

They're in the process of renovating the castle - that must be an incredibly exciting job. When rebuilding, they would often use the existing building. They're re-creating some tapestries and they are beautiful. It's a series of 6 called The Unicorn Hunt. The unicorn represents Christ and it made me think of the unicorn hunt at the end of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Hmmm...makes you think - or it makes me think at least.

We stopped for a quick sandwhich and were off to the William Wallace Monument. I couldn't help but think of all my guy friends who would be incredibly jealous of my being there. =) It's a large tower, with 246 steps to the top. And I climbed them all 0 and have a certificate to prove it! They have exhibits intersperced throughout the staircase, but they weren't too fascinating. One floor had The Wallace Sword, although I found out later that they're not sure if it's real. Oh well. The view from the top was amazing! Words will never do it justice. The sun was starting to go down and shone down brightly. It was like something from a film. Like, this is the promised land. I was expecting to hear the glorious sounds of a choir.

Back at the train station on our way home, my throat started to hurt. Sure enough, I was getting sick. Despite that, I made myself get up and go to Edinburgh on Saturday, although I altered our plans to made it a simpler, less strenuous day. We went to Edinburgh Castle, which is amazing! It's unbelievable to visit these places, where people, like Mary Queen of Scots, lived. I saw the Scottish crown jewels. They were lost for over 100 years, but were found in the 1800's.

After the castle, we proceeded to walk down the Royal Mile. We were in hunt of a chocolate shop - Plaisur du Choclat. We didn't find it, but did end up at a place called Chocolate Soup. I drank hot chocolate from a soup bowl and it was delicious. The Royal Mile has tons of tourist shops with tons of crazy Scottish goodies.

After our bowls of chocolate, we started walking towards Hard Rock Cafe. I got a really cool top there and it was so nice to have American food. Really, the first since I've been here. I had a pineapple chicken quesadilla. So good!

After that we headed back to Airdrie. Remember, I was sick. So, I wish I could have seen more in Edinburgh, but did what I could. We had a kick back night and watched "10 Things I Hate About You."

Sunday morning we were off to church at Calvary Chapel Glasgow. It's a small church, with lots of friendly peeps, quite a few from the states too. After service we had lunch and went to the movies. We were originally going to visit Loch Lomond, but as I was still sick, I just wasn't up to it.
The movie theaters we were at was amazing! It was a tower of movies. I'll post the picture when I can, but seriously amazing! We saw, "Good Night, and Good Luck," which is a film about Edward R. Murrow and Joseph McCarthy. It just came out here, but it's probably been out in the States forever. Grrr....late UK releases. It really drives me batty.

Anywho, we had another kick back night, watching episodes of "Father Ted." It's this really funny sitcom about a house of Irish Catholic priests. It's very slapstick and over the top, but very funny. The main priest, Father Ted, runs the joint. The oldest priest, Father Jack, is an alcholic, retired priest who only shouts out curses and "Drink!" I forget the youngest priest's name, but his charachter is that of a naive, puppy dog like child. There were only three seasons as the guy who played Father Ted died. So sad.

Today I kicked back and packed for my trip back. I was at the airport so early, but I had a good magazine to read and my beloved Sudoku puzzles - I think I got Chelsea hooked on them during my visit. So, I'm back in Bristol - and I actually felt as if I was home.

Jenny

No comments: