Monday, June 9, 2008

Thoughts on Fahrenheit 451 & God - October 25, 2006

"I often wonder if God recognizes His own son the way we've dressed him up, or is it dressed him down? He's a regular peppermint stick now, all sugar-crystal and saccharine when he isn't making veiled references to certain commercial products that every worshiper absolutely needs."

-Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury

I've been reading this book for the book group I'm in. It was written over 50 years ago, yet things they mention are a little to familiar. This quote stood out to me today as I was reading during lunch. I think our society has done that today. I was thinking of the view I've had of Jesus – a view I grew up with – and the little tiny American culture box I've tried to squish Him into. And He's so much larger than that.

Anyways, just some thoughts I had on this October afternoon. Not quite autumnal, but perhaps getting there.

No comments: